A Two-day Class at Row Distilleries
Portland’s Distillery Row is presenting a hands-on, tasting-oriented series of classes over a two day period in the winter of 2012. Participants will have an opportunity to get an inside look at Row distilleries, meet the distillers, and learn about the process of making artisanal spirits from them.
- Sunday February 12, 2012, from 10-4
- Sunday February 19, 2012, from 10-4
The two day course will span two consecutive Sundays with participants traveling between the distilleries to learn about such topics as:
- Orientation to distillery equipment and distillation processes
- Barreling and aging spirits
- Fermentation & basic mash techniques
- Making the cut and proofing of spirits
The classes will focus on the sensory aspects of craft distilling and are intended to appeal to both those with technical interests, as well as those who simply appreciate spirits and want to understand the spirit-making process better. Participants will be exposed to the nuances of making such spirits as gin, vodka, whiskies, rum, and brandies & liqueurs.